Fuji Legend KWAM 1 Apologises For Airport Face-Off
By JOSHUA OLOMU
FUJI music legend, Wasiu Ayinde Marshal, popularly known as KWAM 1, has apologised for the recent altercation he had with some personnel of the ValueJet, at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.
The airport face-off was captured in a video that went viral on Wednesday, with KWAM1 seen in a seeming attempt to obstruct the take-off of the aircraft.
The incident attracted widespread public backlash, with the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo and the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) slamming a six-month no flying ban on the singer.
While the Fuji artiste was put on no-fly list for breaching aviation regulations and disrupting airline operations, the pilots involved in the incident was also suspended and placed under investigation.
The NCAA also said it had petitioned the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) to prosecute the singer, over his behaviour at the airport.
In a swift reaction, Kwam 1, in a statement through his spokesperson, Kunle Rasheed, dismissed the allegations as exaggerated and misleading.
Report stated that the singer, in a video circulated online over the weekend, apologised for his actions, describing the incident as ‘regrettable.’
The artiste said he had been a good ambassador of the country “in very many ways and therefore, acknowledged that he, “should not be found in such incidents”.
“The incident that occurred at the local wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on 5 August, involving my humble self and ValueJet Airline, was, to say the least, unfortunate.
“I accept responsibility and appeal to Mr. President, the country, the Minister for Aviation, the FAAN, the NCAA and my fans across the globe, to please pardon my behaviour.
“My love for the country is unshakable. I am still the darling ambassador of our nation and I will continue to carry the banner of this great country everywhere, all my life.
“Thank you once again. Please accept my apology,” he said.
In contrast to speculations that Kwam 1 brought an alcoholic beverage in a container into the commercial flight, the singer said he only had water in the container.
“Unknown to many, I suffer from chronic dehydration and my doctor strongly advised that I remain constantly hydrated and this is why I always carry a water flask with me.
“Contrary to the negative narrative being circulated in some quarters, the flask I carried on that particular day contained only water, not alcohol, as wrongly alleged,” he said.
The artiste further explained that he had passed through two security screenings with the empty flask before the altercation.
According to him, the flask was only filled with water at the lounge, just before he headed to the tarmac, a fact he said, can be verified by the CCTV footage at the airport lounge.
(NAN)