Corrupt Civil Servants Awarded ₦5.2 Billion Contracts Without Approval — Wike
THE Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has denied claims by local contractors that his administration owes them ₦5.2 billion, insisting that the debts arose from contracts irregularly awarded by civil servants without ministerial approval.
On Monday, contractors staged a protest at the minister’s gate, alleging that the FCT Administration owed them about ₦5.2 billion for executed projects.
But Wike’s Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Lere Olayinka, countered the claims, noting that the minister had not awarded any new contracts since assuming office and had already cleared a ₦10 billion backlog inherited from his predecessor.
Speaking on Tuesday at the inauguration of Phase 2 rehabilitation works at the Lower Usman Dam in Ushafa, Wike described the protest as blackmail orchestrated by corrupt officials using fronts to push questionable claims.
“I came on board and people were already shouting that local contractors were being owed ₦5 billion, ₦8 billion. I asked, who awarded these contracts? Civil servants sit in their offices and award contracts of ₦10 million, ₦15 million, ₦20 million without the minister’s knowledge. Then they turn around to say the minister is owing ₦15 billion. That will never happen! Nobody can intimidate me on that,” Wike declared.
He alleged that the so-called contractors were merely hired demonstrators, insisting that his administration would only honour properly awarded contracts backed by available funding.
“If I award contracts, I will pay. But I don’t award contracts without money. Even the Federal Executive Council awarded some, and I told them to hold on until funds were available. Let nobody say I borrowed money,” he explained.
Challenging his critics, the minister demanded proof that he personally awarded any of the disputed contracts.
“Let anyone who claims I awarded a contract produce the documents. If I didn’t, why should I be held responsible? We must do things right. If it wasn’t done properly before, it doesn’t mean it won’t be done properly today,” he said.
Wike further condemned the practice of splitting projects into small sums—₦10 million, ₦15 million, ₦25 million—saying it was a ploy by civil servants to siphon funds without meaningful results.
He vowed not to bow to pressure or continue the “business as usual” culture of frivolous spending and padded contracts.
“You cannot embarrass me. Go and meet those who awarded you contracts and tell them your children are out of school. It’s not my business,” the minister added.
(The PUNCH)